Peterborough City Council Housing Options Service

Peterborough Coty Council Housing Options Service

We have a common housing register and a joint allocations policy which was agreed in partnership with ten housing associations who have accommodation in Peterborough, which forms the Peterborough Homes Partnership. We provide a single point of contact for people seeking social housing in Peterborough.

Please note: only applications who are aged over 55 will be accepted on to the housing register if they meet the criteria detailed in bands 4 and 5. In addition, they will only be eligible to be considered for sheltered accommodation.

Join the housing register

If you would like to apply to join the housing register you will need to complete an application form and return it in person to the Customer Services Centre in Bayard Place.

When you visit us, you will need to bring your completed application and all of the documentation requested within the form so that we can confirm you're eligible and correctly determine how your application should be prioritised on the register.

Please note: If you currently a tenant of a Housing Association in Peterborough you will need to approach them for written authorisation to apply to join the housing register.

Anyone aged 16 or over (including those with no fixed abode) may be placed on the housing register, except for:

  • people from abroad subject to immigration control or regulations
  • people prescribed as ineligible by regulations made by the Secretary of State
  • people we consider to be unsuitable to be tenants due to unacceptable behaviour.


If you are homeless or are being threatened with homelessness (if you are being asked to leave your current accommodation within 28 days) you should seek our advice as soon as possible. 

It is better if you can advise us in person at Bayard Place or by calling 01733 864064. Telephones are also available at Bayard Place. If required, an appointment will be made for you to be interviewed by one of our officers. You need to bring with you all of the relevant documents, this makes it much easier for us to assess how you can be assisted.

Rough sleepers

We currently have a team who work with rough sleepers in the city. Our aim is to break the cycle of habitual rough sleeping and encourage service users to engage with various support agencies to get them off the street and into sustainable accommodation.

If you are aware of someone sleeping rough please notify us using the rough sleeper referral form.

Severe weather emergency provision 

Good practice guidance from the Department for Communities and Local government recommends that local authorities has emergency provisions in place to prevent loss of life of rough sleepers in severe weather conditions.

We work with local charities to ensure that shelter is available to all known rough sleepers in the city when it is forecast that the overnight temperature will be zero celsius or below for three consecutive nights.

Homeless documents needed

If you are offered an appointment you will be asked for evidence of your homelessness. This could be a letter from the person(s) you have been staying with, a possession order, a notice to quit etc. If you are not able to obtain proof we may make contact with the person(s) who have asked you to leave. If you are not already on the housing register, we will ask you for details and documents relating to your family household, address etc.

Homeless interview

One of our officers will discuss your housing situation and the possible options available to you. They will want to know details such as, why are you being asked to leave your current address; do you have anywhere else you can live?  They will try and assist you with any benefits or arrears issues you have, give you landlord/tenant advice, negotiate with your landlord and look into how you can access alternative accommodation if necessary.

The officer who interviews you will become your caseworker and will do everything they can to try and prevent you becoming homeless where possible.  They will assess you under the Homelessness Act 2002 and make a decision on whether we have a duty to offer temporary accommodation and/or permanent housing. When you approach us as homeless one of our officers will assess your application under the Homelessness Act 2002. The Homelessness Act sets out guidelines about who may be eligible for assistance. Our officer has to make a decision using the information that you give them during the homelessness interview.


The same criteria is used as for the eligibility for the housing register.

Priority needs

  • 16 or 17 years old
  • pregnant women
  • a person with dependant children
  • homeless due to emergency such as fire, flood or other disaster
  • vulnerable due to old age, mental/physical disability
  • some people who have left care or have spent time in care
  • vulnerable due to a custodial sentence
  • vulnerable due to time spent in the Armed Forces
  • fleeing violence.

Intentionally homeless

One of our officers will look at whether you are homeless due to your own actions, they will look at :

  • what accommodation have you left?
  • did you lose the accommodation due to something you did?
  • was the accommodation settled?
  • was the accommodation suitable?

Local connection information

  • have you lived in Peterborough for 6 out of the last 12 months
  • have you lived in Peterborough for 3 out of the last 5 years
  • do you have close family relatives in Peterborough
  • do you have employment in Peterborough
  • is there a risk of violence if referred back to area which you hold a local connection with
  • no local connection to any other area of the UK.

Who to contact

01733 864064 01733 864064

Where to go

Sand Martin House
Bittern Way
Fletton Quays
View PE2 8TY on a map

Wheelchair access, accessible toilets, secure environment.

Local Offer


Emergency advice and assistance to those who present to us as homeless or threatened with homelessness.  This could be with moving to rented accommodation with a social or private landlord.  Support may also be offered to prevent you from losing your current home.  We also manage the Peterborough social housing register and will assess eligible applicants to determine their housing need and will consider medical information to ensure we allocate suitable accommodation to those with special needs.

Following an assessment by an Occupational Therapist, families with a child with disabilities who has difficulty gaining access into and around their home may be awarded a Disabled Facilities Grant in order to provide suitable adaptations such as a level access shower, ground floor sleeping and bathing facilities.

Last Updated

Last updated: Over 6 months ago


Save to Shortlist
Share on Facebook
Share on WhatsApp
Skip back to top of page